trying to figure out what is filling up my disc

root@box:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 96M 1.1M 95M 2% /run
/dev/sda 25G 24G 0 100% /
tmpfs 479M 0 479M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 96M 4.0K 96M 1% /run/user/1000

in the past journalctl --vacuum-time=10d freed up space and life was good. this is not the case anymore. I’ve also removed the largest old logfiles. what am I missing?

It could just be that your mailboxes have grown to fill the space. But for me, I discovered that the /home/user-data/owncloud-backup/ directory had become quite large. According to another forum topic that I found, you really don’t need to keep the old ones around. I deleted all but the last 2 and freed up several GB.

Here’s something you can try. The following command can be used to show size stats on the directories where the command is run:
sudo du -sh *

If you use it starting in /, then change to the directories that are largest and run it again, and keep repeating this process, you can quickly determine which directories are using an unusually large amount of storage.

As a point of reference, /usr/ and /home/ are always the two largest directories on my server. /usr/ is at about 4.5G and that’s normal, so you needn’t spend time digging through there unless you have far different results. /home is large because that’s where user-data resides and where the MiaB server stores its data. That’s likely where you’ll need to focus your attention.

Thank you DMS :pray: I’ll try these.

For the benefit of others, between vacuuming journals and removing old files in /home/user-data/owncloud-backup/ I freed up 3 GB, so I can continue running on a nanode.

Thanks again!