NSD4 listening address

Background: doing some testing work on MiaB but on some VMs at home. Its a bit of a learning about unix/VMs for me.

By default, Hyper V does dynamic IPs and originally gave 192.168.1.234 — did the setup and things working out well (status check page - most items green and the reds are related to external DNS). It was great.

At some stage, find out how to do static IPs in Hyper V. After setup, get 192.168.1.235 which looks consistent across boots. However now in the System Checks, the first section (“System”) I get the red error “Public DNS (nsd4) is not running (port 53).”

After SSH into the VM and poking around some (netstat -an | grep :53) I get output like this:

tcp 0 0 192.168.1.234:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
udp 0 0 192.168.1.234:53 0.0.0.0:*

So looks like some how the config with old IP is still being used.

Can anyone shed light on where the “.234” address is being set so I can update?

If you’re just playing around, could you just destroy the VM and create another one?

No big issue with doing that - fairly straight forward install-from-ISO, updated and then install MiaB

Mostly was around learning more on unix/VM internals so I can troubleshoot in future rather than take the nuclear option each time…

Hmm problems that go away by themselves can come back by themselves…

Further messing around with some domains and a couple of reboots later; noted that the system check is all green now.

As per header, it might come back so curious what happened but at the same time, it is working now so I can’t really tinker!