NSD not responding to NS requests

Hi guys,

So I have just installed a fresh copy of MIAB, everything has been port forwarded as it should be, with both TCP and UDP ports being open for NSD.

When I use dig to resolve an invalid domain (IE. yahoo.com), NSD responds with an empty answer, as it should. But when I try a domain that is actually valid (Ie. our main domain name) NSD times out ( connection timed out; no servers could be reached).

Has anyone had this issue before?

Afaik we configured the nameservers to only answer requests which they are responsible for. If you want the NS to return an A-Record for your domain, you would need to add it in the admin control panel.

I am not using the nameservers yet, just digging directly to the server dig @<MIAB_IP> yahoo.com

1 Like

Your MiaB is not the authoritative name server for Yahoo, so no, you are not going to get a response for it by digging your MiaB. As was indicated by @hija with the comment “we configured the nameservers to only answer requests which they are responsible for.”

This tells me that you have not installed MiaB on a remote server such as as a dedi or VPS, but rather have installed it on a local network perhaps? Is this the case? Because with a ‘regular installation’ there is no port forwarding involved.

1 Like

It has been installed on our VMWare cloud in a datacenter. So essentially VPS yes

Question is, are your mails received and delivered correctly?

@jgibbons Do you have DNSSEC turned on by chance?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.