Not sure if my Email for MiaB is working

HI there

First time poster, as I’ve just installed MiaB. Love it, well the installation at least, it was a breeze.

With that out of the way, I would like som ehelp in figuring out why my email’s are not sending or receiving. By that I mean, the activity shows that emails are being sent, no email has been received fro several hours. I have used the external dns page from MiaB to configure my dns records, but it seems like there’s no activity.

I sent 3 emails via inbox.google.com and then 3 more from each of the email addresses I set up. Another odd thing is that I added the box’s admin account to my thunderbird account (sorry I am using thunderbird on Win 10), and it said I did have the authorisation for that account. Or at least account a does nto have acces to account b. Not sure what that means.

Where should I Be checking first, as I understand this is a one click out of the box solution that “just works”. It looks all good, but then my emails arent working :frowning: So not sure where to go from here.

Thanks in advance

Ubuntu 14.0.4 ( that’s the rec version)
Clean install no other apps or software installed
DNS configured to External DNS settings in MiaB
VPS is Vultr.com
All checks for the domain box.junaidhussain.co.uk are ticked as valid in MiaB.
There are some sent emails within Roundcube, but none have been received by my gmail account.
Have asked freinds to email me, and I emailed them. Neither has been received.
Installed on a subdomain (clearly as the domain is box)
Is there anything I’m missing that I need to mention?

Please advise.

EDIT: Checked a few other threads, and decided to show you the output of the log file:

Mar 1 09:55:01 box CRON[4764]: (munin) CMD (if [ -x /usr/bin/munin-cron ]; then /usr/bin/munin-cron; fi)
Mar 1 09:55:01 box CRON[4765]: (root) CMD (if [ -x /etc/munin/plugins/apt_all ]; then munin-run apt_all update 7200 12 >/dev/null; elif [ -x /etc/munin/plugins/apt ]; then munin-run apt update 7200 12 >/dev/null; fi)
Mar 1 09:55:23 box postfix/smtp[5206]: initializing the client-side TLS engine
Mar 1 09:55:53 box postfix/smtp[5206]: connect to mx1.tools.mxtoolbox.com[208.123.79.38]:25: Connection timed out
Mar 1 09:56:23 box postfix/smtp[5206]: connect to mx2.tools.mxtoolbox.com[208.123.79.58]:25: Connection timed out
Mar 1 09:56:23 box postfix/smtp[5206]: 6291943A2D: to=ping@tools.mxtoolbox.com, relay=none, delay=464, delays=403/0.05/60/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to mx2.tools.mxtoolbox.com[208.123.79.58]:25: Connection timed out)
Mar 1 10:00:02 box CRON[5290]: (munin) CMD (if [ -x /usr/bin/munin-cron ]; then /usr/bin/munin-cron; fi)
Mar 1 10:00:02 box CRON[5291]: (root) CMD (if [ -x /etc/munin/plugins/apt_all ]; then munin-run apt_all update 7200 12 >/dev/null; elif [ -x /etc/munin/plugins/apt ]; then munin-run apt update 7200 12 >/dev/null; fi)

Seems like it’s timing out or reinstalling or something? The above log is from tail -f /var/log/syslog

Is there a reason why you are not using the DNS provided with MIAB? It creates all the required records to send and receive email, if you’re not familiar with DNS I’d recommend switching to your boxes DNS rather than using an external provider such as Vultr.

If you prefer to use an external DNS provider make sure all your records are correct, it can take time for DNS changes to propagate so you’ll need to a wait a few hours, normally around 24. The tool below may be of some use to you.

https://www.whatsmydns.net/

hi there

thanks for responding. I was just following the guide that was on MiaB, it didnt mention any dns servers with the application, so I followed th guide adn configured the domains and naem servers accordingly.

I do have som einteresting news though. It seems that “some” of my emails for about 7 hours ago have now been received by my gmail account, I still have 0 emails in my thunderbird, on the other hand I can’t receive anything from anyone it seems (i tried several sites where I could recover passwords etc) and the emails never appear.

Additionally I finally got a gmail response to emaisl from gmail to the mailbox, and it came up with this:

The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7720 [box.junaidhussain.co.uk. 45.76.141.33: timed out]

Not sure what to make of that.

How do I designate the server box to manage my dns? I didnt’s ee any reference in the main guide.

Hi there,

Mar 1 09:56:23 box postfix/smtp[5206]: 6291943A2D: to=ping@tools.mxtoolbox.com, relay=none, delay=464, delays=403/0.05/60/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to mx2.tools.mxtoolbox.com[208.123.79.58]:25: Connection timed out)

looks like outgoing TCP connections to port 25 are blocked by your ISP.

Also it looks like incoming TCP connections to port 25 are blocked by your ISP too.

box.junaidhussain.co.uk. 45.76.141.33: timed out

Doesn’t look like a DNS problem at all…

All the best, Tim

correct looks like it - I had to request port 25 be unblocked. It’s all working now, I received a lot of mail past few hours.

Thanks for helping.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.