Nextcloud Implementation in MIAB

I’ve noticed that in the default installation of MIAB Nextcloud is included in the /cloud/ extension. I know that in the stated docs it’s only for calendar and contacts. But I’m curious if the file sharing/management features of Nextcloud is also fully implemented and usable?

Can I also use the MIAB server as a Nextcloud installation? And are those files included in the default backup?

Yes, the file management features of NextCloud are available as they are intrinsic to that software. I use NextCloud on my MIAB installation to handle files accessed by either the web interface or via WebDAV. Yes, the files are included in the backup AFAIK though I have not yet practiced a restore to verify fully.

As you have noted, the intention of including NextCloud in MIAB is to provide calendar and contacts features. So the above use is unsupported and may not continue to be available. However, aware of the risks, I have had no problems with upgrades to MIAB and NextCloud thus far. Bear in mind that one is limited to the NextCloud version including one MIAB (currently 20.0.14 with MIAB v56) but that is not a problem for me.

Other features of NextCloud beyond file management may be enabled after making yourself an administrator but I would steer clear of that myself; very likely to break the upgrade procedure I should think. If you want to experiment there is a shell script to enable admin rights.

1 Like

Ohhhh cool. Thank you!

making yourself an administrator but I would steer clear of that myself; very likely to break the upgrade procedure I should think.

I’m new to MIAB so I’m unsure of how the upgrade procedure works. Why would that happen? Would it be a reasonable change request in the github to make it so that anyone flagged as an administrator in the admin portal be also made a NextCloud administrator?

You don’t need admin to use the file features you’re already good to go.

Just login at box.example.com/cloud as a user. WebDAV details available from that screen when you are logged in (bottom left)

Adding other modules to Nextcloud is definitely discouraged. The admin script says “you’re on your own”. I don’t imagine a CR would be accepted.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.