Nameserver not working

Hi,
I had a MIAB running smooth for quite sometime. Today I restore backup from another server and everything broke. Nameservers were not resolving. So I did fresh install of MIAB and again facing NS not resolving issue.

"Nameserver glue records are incorrect. The ns1.box.anand.email and ns2.box.anand.email nameservers must be configured at your domain name registrar as having the IP address 162.212.153.55. They currently report addresses of [Not Set]/[Not Set]. It may take several hours for public DNS to update after a change."

I am pretty sure NS are configured properly at domain registrar.

Dig Output
root@box:~# dig @localhost ns1.box.anand.email

; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-3ubuntu0.16-Ubuntu <<>> @localhost ns1.box.anand.email
; (2 servers found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 26472
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ns1.box.anand.email.           IN      A

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Mon Oct 30 20:41:35 IST 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 48

root@box:~# nslookup ns1.box.anand.email
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

** server can't find ns1.box.anand.email: SERVFAIL

Also tried rebooting VPS multiple times. Any help is appreciated.

Yea so that is an issue at the registrar/ISP not with MIAB. Did you update the glue records there?

The glue records were there previously but suddenly stopped working. I had checked with domain registrar and looks like it is configured properly. Any way to validate bind or named config?

The glue record for “ns1.box.anand.email” returned “162.212.153.55” for me. Is that the right ip address?

Also - looks like SSL certificate is not working on your server.

Also - glue records are not the same as A/CNAME records… If you are using GoDaddy as an example they call these records just “hostnames” for which you need to setup at the registrar with the right name (ns1.box.anand.email as well as ns2.box.anand.email) and both should point to your box’s IP Address (If you have a slave names server, make that one ns2.box.anand.email and configure a slave via MIAB’s admin panel.)

Yes right This is the address on which miab is setup.

Ssl is not working because it’s not able to resolve the domain.

What I would recommend doing is logging into your registrars web site delete any glue records you have and reset them. Give at least 48 hours after doing this and try running the setup again.

I am using Namecheap

Namecheap? You might have to confirm your WHOIS data. At this point without logging into your server to do troubleshooting, I would recommend working with their support team to confirm the glue records are indeed set.

Thanks for your response. I did check with the support team and they confirmed that the NS records are setup and pointed to my VPS ip.

How to check if glue records are setup correctly at registrat end?

I was able to see correct IP for A and NS test at https://www.whatsmydns.net/.
Any other pointers for debugging

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.