Nameserver error when DNSSEC is set

Hi,

Today my miab instance on the DO stopped working. When I checked the status page I see it was complaining about name servers are currently [Not Set]. My miab was up to date, nothing changed on my setup for several months and everything was same. I use google domains and I removed DNSSEC setting from my domains dns settings. This solved issue, stopped complaining about nameservers.

I tried all DNSSEC options from status page and whatever I set, my miab instance starts giving nameserver error.

Cheers.

Difficult to say, here are some tools which can analyse several DNSSEC situations, perhaps they provide a clue to our issue:

PM me with your MiaB hostname, and if you have any other domains being served by the MiaB with those domain names as well, and I can check your DNS.

What the!? - Yesterday (approximately 21 hours ago) I suddenly started experiencing DNS issues and the Status Checks page had “Not Set” errors like @firatkiral described (see below). Note that I am only able to access the Status Checks page using the box’s server IP address, just like after you run the MIAB install script for the first time (ie https://###.###.###.###/admin)

My server is hosted on Digital Ocean and my Domain on Namecheap.

BOX.DOMAIN. COM Error Messages ~

• :heavy_multiplication_x: Nameserver glue records are incorrect. The ns1.box.DOMAIN. com and ns2.box.DOMAIN. com nameservers must be configured at your domain name registrar as having the IP address ###.###.###.###. They currently report addresses of [Not Set]/[Not Set]. It may take several hours for public DNS to update after a change.

• :heavy_multiplication_x: This domain must resolve to your box’s IP address (###.###.###.###) in public DNS but it currently resolves to [Not Set]. It may take several hours for public DNS to update after a change. This problem may result from other issues listed above.

DOMAIN. COM Error Messages ~

• :heavy_multiplication_x: autoconfig.DOMAIN. com: This domain should resolve to your box’s IP address (A ###.###.###.###) if you would like the box to serve webmail or a website on this domain. The domain currently resolves to [Not Set] in public DNS. It may take several hours for public DNS to update after a change. This problem may result from other issues listed here.

• :heavy_multiplication_x: autodiscover.DOMAIN. com: This domain should resolve to your box’s IP address (A ###.###.###.###) if you would like the box to serve webmail or a website on this domain. The domain currently resolves to [Not Set] in public DNS. It may take several hours for public DNS to update after a change. This problem may result from other issues listed here.

On Namecheap, I found the setting for DNSSEC ON under the “Advanced DNS” tab so I toggled it OFF. Prior to this, I rebooted my server and also re-ran the sudo curl -s https://mailinabox.email/setup.sh | sudo -E bash in the quest to resolve my issue.

Interestingly, right after I toggled off DNSSEC, some of the error messages on the Status Checks page went away momentarily. I’ve been refreshing the page for the past few minutes but the errors I had originally persist.

Perhaps if I wait it out (I hope) DNS will resolve properly again. But if anyone has any insight as to why this issue seems to have popped up out of nowhere, or any ideas for a resolution, I would greatly appreciate it!

Care to share the domain name in PM? Need the box hostname as well as any domains that you are hosting email for.

This seems to be becoming a pattern… so I’d like to take a look.

Thank you for offering to help. I was about to send you a PM, but I actually cannot figure out how to do so. On the Messages page I can see the instructions (quoted below), However, when I click on your Avatar, I can’t seem to find the message button. Where is it?? Is my profile too new?

Need to have a direct personal conversation with someone, outside the normal conversational flow? Message them by selecting their avatar and using the message button.

fwiw, toggling DNSSEC to off in my setup did not seem to resolve my DNS problems. After waiting a few hours, the most that will happen is most of the error messages will go away temporarily on the status checks page, although webpages like Box Admin and Box Webmail have yet to resolve since my DNS issues began…

Hey @alento. Sorry for the delay. This is box23, but I ran into this message when trying to reply to your last PM!

I have rebooted the server though

Do you do discord? :slight_smile:

Yes, do you have a link?