Moving email service from Cpanel to MIAB

I have a WHM/cPanel server with a couple dozen domains. I’ve noticed that some of my clients are really starting to rack up the storage space due to email. I don’t want to hound anyone to delete old mail but I want to move the email load to a different VPS. MIAB looks like an alternative.

I’ve set up a box.mymail.tld and it works great for that domain.

I don’t want to change nameservers for domains currently hosted on my cPanel server, I want to direct just the email to the mail server. I’m working with a client who does this through dns to Outlook mail with hosting at bluehost (a cPanel host as well).

My question is first: am I wrong to think it can be done this way? Must nameservers be pointed first to the miab server then using the dns api send them to my cPanel server?

If the answer to that is no, then is there a concise walk-through for setting up dns in cpanel that will accomplish this? I’ve been searching for 2 days and haven’t found anything that helps.

Sounds like we’re in the same boat. My post at https://discourse.mailinabox.email/t/hosting-mail-for-external-domains-is-this-how-you-do-it/2313 may be the way to go, but I’m hoping for confirmation of that.

So my assumptions in my linked post proved to be correct. By simply creating an email address and triggering the DNS creation in MIAB, all I needed to do further was add an MX and TXT record in the externally hosted DNS. Then I just configured my client mail apps and everything worked perfectly. Just a tip, tha worked for me, in the client setup I used SSL security for incoming mail and TLS security for outgoing mail. I should also point out that I installed a free certificate via System > TLS (SSL) Certificates in the admin control panel.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.