Mautic with MIAB

Hello,

I recently set up MIAB and it’s working well. However I also use Mautic, which is hosted on a different server. I can send/receive from my desktop email client. But emails from Mautic never show up.

Do I need to do anything in particular on the Mautic side so that it could send through MIAB? I’ve configured the SMTP and I have my DNS records set. Spam checker services like Mail-Tester are show 10/10 when sent from my desktop client.

Test emails from the Mautic Email Confg screen go out. But nothing from Mautic email channels is arriving. Segment, Campaign, or specific contact emails. They don’t show up in inbox, junk, spam, or otherwise. It’s like the messages just don’t go. If I connect Mautic to Sendgrid API the message do send.

Any advice you can give?

Thanks,
Darrel

1 Like

Check with their support. I looked briefly at the documentation and it does not give any guidance at all beyond:

Email Delivery

Emails are delivered using the method defined by the system administrator. If you are the system administrator for your company, then you will need to add the email protocol for your company to use. Mautic integrates with any email service provider which offers SMTP mail servers as well as several distinct services such as Mandrill, Gmail Sendgrid, Mailjet, Postmark, Sendmail and Amazon SES.

Which basically says nothing.

Are you certain that you have entered the SMTP information correctly? What do the MiaB logs say? Is there an authentication error? It there even an attempt to connect?

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve triple checked the SMTP settings. Again a test email sends. Just not any transactional or marketing emails.

I’m not an expert at the logs. But I’ll see what I can find in them.

I found the issue in /var/log/mail.log

I tried sending a sample transactional email and this is the corresponding entry. Domains and such anonymized. ‘mydomain’ is for my Mautic email app.

Jun 29 22:50:05 box postfix/submission/smtpd[824]: connect from mautic.server.com[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
Jun 29 22:50:05 box postfix/submission/smtpd[824]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mautic.server.com[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 553 5.7.1 bounce+bounce_5b370bfcaedff@mydomain.com: Sender address rejected: not owned by user me@mydomain.com; from=bounce+bounce_5b370bfcaedff@mydomain.com to=recipient@gmail.com proto=ESMTP helo=<mydomain.com>
Jun 29 22:50:05 box postfix/submission/smtpd[824]: disconnect from mautic.server.com[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

When I send an email configuration test email it goes through. This is simply to confirm that the SMTP settings are working. Those emails don’t have unsubscribe or bounce headers. But transactional emails do. And it looks to me like MIAB thinks the included bounce@ address is not owned by me? Meaning the account that is sending via SMTP doesn’t “own” the bounce address.

I tested by changing my bounce address to testing@mydomain.com and got this in the log.

Jun 29 23:28:41 box postfix/submission/smtpd[4493]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mautic.server.com[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 553 5.7.1 <testing+bounce_5b371508f1ed2@mydomain.com >: Sender address rejected: not owned by user me@mydomain.com; from=<testing+bounce_5b371508f1ed2@mydomain.com > to=recipient@gmail.com proto=ESMTP helo=<mydomain.com >

Finally I thought to set the bounce address to match my sender address and the test email when though immediately! Unfortunately this isn’t a fix for me though. Mautic needs to monitor a bounce inbox so it can mark bounced contacts as “do not contact”.

So is there a way to set an “allowed sender” for the SMTP user?

Searching for [quote=“Darrel, post:4, topic:3414”]
Sender address rejected: not owned by user
[/quote] I found this post on Serverfault. Someone said it was it was an issue with the master.cf file. Where it says:

-o smtpd_helo_restrictions=reject_sender_login_mismatch

They commented it out.

# -o smtpd_helo_restrictions=reject_sender_login_mismatch

I’m not exactly sure ow to do that, but is it a proper thing to do? I’m not sure if it would solve this bounce@ address issue.

No do not do that, just add a new alias that matches the email that mautic is using (not the same as the username from the looks of it.)

I already have the bounce@ address added to MIAB.

What’s happening is that I log in to SMTP with darrel@ but the email has a bounce return address attached. So I think MIAB is saying that bounce@ doesn’t match the address that is sending the email.

Right, remove the bounce@ mailbox, and then add it as an alias to darrel@. Mail Accounts can send as any alias assigned to them

I don’t think I can use an alias for the Bounce. That needs to be an active address that can receive the bounce notifications. If I set it as an alias then the bounce notifications would go to darrel@ Correct?

Yes. An alias is just another email for the same account:

bounce@
darrel@

Will both go to darrel@.

Or if bounce@ is its own mailbox, just use that account instead of darrel@

Perhaps it was missed in my description. My app is sending from darrel@. That’s the “From” address and that’s the account I use to log in to SMTP. The app includes bounce@ as the return address for bounced email notifications. bounce@ needs to be a valid address that can receive the bounce notifications so it can remove the invalid emails from my autoresponder.

But when I try to send email that way MIAB is rejecting the bounce@ because of the account mismatch.

I need to allow bounce@ to be a valid return address for bounced email notifications.

bounce@ needs to be an alias still even for return address.

Is this the correct method to set up an alias?

https://mailinabox.email/advanced-configuration.html

No, an alias is setup via the admin panel:

https://box.domain.com/admin

then Mail -> Aliases

:facepalm: How the hell did I not see that? Thanks!

1 Like

I added an alias for bounce@ but didn’t include a forward address. I set darrel@ as a permitted sender.

Bounced email notifications are now received at the bounce@ address and my outgoing mail from darrel@ goes through without error.

Thanks for all of the help! I really appreciate it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.