Mali-in-a-Box Reports DNS Errors But Everything Working

I have been running MiaB almost without problem for many months. The only other problem than the one I am reporting now was a few weeks ago when Letsencrypt certs were not renewing. The update to v0.26b fixed that problem. Now, an overnight email from MiaB reports DNS problems for several, but not all, of the domains hosted by my MiaB box. The errors reported at the control panel are like this for the subdomain that hosts MiaB:

box.zzz.net
:heavy_multiplication_x: Nameserver glue records are incorrect. The ns1.box.zzz.net and ns2.box.zzz.net nameservers must be configured at your domain name registrar as having the IP address 999.999.999.999. They currently report addresses of [Not Set]/[Not Set]. It may take several hours for public DNS to update after a change.

:heavy_multiplication_x: This domain must resolve to your box’s IP address (999.999.999.999 / ffff:ffff::ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff) in public DNS but it currently resolves to [Not Set] / [Not Set]. It may take several hours for public DNS to update after a change. This problem may result from other issues listed above.

And for several other domains:
:heavy_multiplication_x: The nameservers set on this domain are incorrect. They are currently [Not Set]. Use your domain name registrar’s control panel to set the nameservers to ns1.box.zzz.net; ns2.box.zzz.net.

:heavy_multiplication_x: This domain’s DNS MX record is not set. It should be ‘10 box.zzz.net’. Mail will not be delivered to this box. It may take several hours for public DNS to update after a change. This problem may result from other issues listed here.

:heavy_multiplication_x: This domain should resolve to your box’s IP address (A 999.999.999.999) if you would like the box to serve webmail or a website on this domain. The domain currently resolves to [Not Set] in public DNS. It may take several hours for public DNS to update after a change. This problem may result from other issues listed here.

And their WWW subdomains:

:heavy_multiplication_x: This domain should resolve to your box’s IP address (A 999.999.999.999) if you would like the box to serve webmail or a website on this domain. The domain currently resolves to [Not Set] in public DNS. It may take several hours for public DNS to update after a change. This problem may result from other issues listed here.

To make it clear - this is not a new setup. It’s been running properly without errors for many months.

I have checked the status page, re-ran setup, and rebooted the box, as per the steps in the Something Went Wrong! section of the maintenance guide without change.

However, as far as I can tell, these errors seem to be spurious. Everything is working normally. Mail is being received and sent and wesites are serving pages. I have made no changes recently that may account for these errors. The domain host (Gandi) is not reporting any relevant status issues and the server (Linode) seems to have no issues. Pinging the domains returns the correct IP address.

The domains reporting the problem are a mix of mail only, mail with static site hosted on the MiaB, and mail with site hosted elsewhere using custom DNS entries. I haven’t been able to find anything like this on the current or historic issues on this forum.

Thanks for any help.

In my experience … I have often received updated status reports showing odd things working and not working with DNS. However, the box has always worked fine.

At this point … I ignore the status page when it changes as it has for you.

If I were to guess … my guess would be that there was some kind of temporary glitch/connection issue/timeout in the DNS world at the moment your box updated the status page. That is ONLY my uneducated guess.

1 Like

Further to my original post, I received a further Status Check Change Notice overnight. A further domain has the same DNS errors as reported on other domains, as well as a notice that a new version of MiaB is available (v0.26c). I installed the update. The DNS errors persist, but all seems to be working fine.

Does anyone suggest any log entries that may help finding out what’s going on? If so, I would appreciate advice which logs to be looking at.

Thanks.