Mail-in-a-Box version v0.40 and moving to Ubuntu 18.04

This is not supported by Mail-in-a-Box!

No, my MiaB handles all the DNS entries, I do not use any external DNS.

Just wanted to thank the team for their hard work, the instructions for upgrading from 14.04 to 18.04 were great and our migration went flawless.

Thank you!!


Another possibility is that you did your test before the new DKIM key propagated … is this still an issue now?

Yes, it’s still an issue, but as I said only at I just tested at and there is no such issue - result: DKIM passed.

Upgraded from 14.04 to 18.04 on No problems. (so far :wink: )

Hi there, all.

Just a quick question. I want to upgrade the proper way described here. However, my cloud provider does not have any more availability in the region I’m already in. That means I would not be able to transfer my current IP to a new dedicated server upon installation. It also means I’d experience more latency when connecting to my server. As such, I would rather just keep my current one running. Is a do-release-upgrade chain from 14.04-16.04-18.04 completely unsupported? I’d hate to lose my IP and the reputation that comes with it, but I really want to do this upgrade.

Just curious, but it is not important - who is your VPS provider? @dkbrown12

I have a similar situation with one of my providers. My intention is to make new backups and store them off site along with the secret_key.txt file. I will then recreate my VPS, meaning that it will be started from scratch with Ubuntu 18.04. Then I will install MiaB and restore the backup.

The method that Josh presented is the best for a perfect world – if something goes tilt, you simply continue on by continuing to use the existing droplet. In your and my situation we will only be able to rely upon our backup and that everything will work out.

I STRONGLY advise against doing the do-release-upgrade chain. Absolutely do not go this way. It too often fails, or introduces funky issues.

I’m using They’re great and affordable, but I prefer the AMS1 region and they only have availability in France right now.

I’ve trusted do-release-upgrade on my personal laptops and desktops, I’ve never encountered issues there. This is the first I’ve considered running it on a server, though.

You are certainly free to try it. There is absolutely NO guarantee that it will work. If it does NOT work there is absolutely NO guarantee that anyone here will be able to help you work out the issues … that said, of course, I am sure that those here will try but …

So perhaps your best solution is to just rebuild your VPS by reinstalling the OS.

But if you absolutely want to try do-release-upgrade, then by all means do - knowing that if you run into errors or issues that you likely will be on your own. If you try and run into issues please start a new topic and we will help you if possible.

But honestly my personal feeling is that it will fail. Not so much on the OS level, but the components of MiaB will not make the changes cleanly. You will be in for much less time and frustration spent reinstalling your OS within your providers control panel. It is your decision.

Don’t forget snapshots and backups!!!

Is it easy to explain/list out the reasons for being at v0.30 regarding PHP? Is it simply an upgrade from PHP5 to 7 or much more than that?

I can only suggest to look at the change log … likely some of the other components of MiaB required PHP 7 vs PHP 5.

The project’s GitHub page may also shed some light.

1 Like

Upgraded a Strato VPS:
First issue:
The same as @yonkoc

Second: I got the installer to:
Initializing system random number generator...
Creating SSH key for backup…
Firewall is active and enabled on system startup
When I got the error:
Failed to restart systemd-resolved.service: Unit systemd-resolved.service is masked.

I had to run systemctl unmask systemd-resolved.service

Now I have one rather important issue left:
Incoming Mail (SMTP/postfix) is not running (port 25).

Anyone know what to do about this? I have rebooted and rerun the install script a couple of times but it does not solve the problem. I have run ufw status but the port shows as allowed anywhere.

The encoding issue? or one of the other issues?

Yes, the encoding issue.
The first 2 issues are solved.
The third issue I do not have a solution for so far.

Did setting the locale not help?

As @alento suggested, I’m going to close this topic because it’ll be easier for everyone to help everyone if we move to separate topics for each issue. Please feel free to open a new topic if you have trouble with the uprade and the discussion can continue! (Also please check the forum for posts from others with the same problem first.)

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions for improving the upgrade instructions. I made some updates, and I will go back over the replies to see if I missed anything. And thanks to @alento for the nudge to close this topic so things would be less confusing.

1 Like