Mail-in-a-Box in AWS cloud

Hello everyone,

I’m new to Mail-in-a-Box, but want to try it.
For many years I have been an active user of AWS cloud. Have set up and run numerous instances successfully for lots of my projects.

Does anyone on this forum currently run Mail-in-a-Box on AWS? What about port 25 blocking? Any other issues? Is this possible at all?

Sorry if this topic has been already discussed.

Many thanks in advance,
Gregory

Hi Gregory,

I’m using AWS for 4 years or so. Port 25 and reverse DNS just need tickets raised but everything else is stock standard Aws and straight forward.

Cheers,
Mat

Hello Mat,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply!
Actually, I was almost sure that everything is OK with AWS and Mail-in-a-Box.
But I wanted a real user’s evidence before actually starting the project!

Best regards,
Greg

1 Like

I tried with AWS Lightsail recently and they refused to allow my VPS to send mail, citing an invalid use case (it’s a mail server?) and that I need to use SES (simple email service). It looked way too complicated so I gave up and went elsewhere.

Hello Grace,
Of course Amazon would always push customers to use their own product/service. Like SES.
But your story ends in different way than Matt’s (the previous answer to my post). Why?
Perhaps because you tried recently and Matt started 4 years ago? AWS policy has changed? Or perhaps it depends on particular AWS region you are using?

So two replies to my post say exactly the opposite… It’s rather confusing!
But thank you and Matt so much anyway!

It seems I should try it myself. Perhaps getting a third and a different result.

Regards,
Gregory

If you do, I’d be interested to know the outcome :slight_smile:

If you do, I’d be interested to know the outcome :slight_smile:

I will! Just finish my current project (my very own VPN service!) and will approach MiaB!
And will tell the result!

Gregory

I found this thread because just today I submitted a request ticket to unblock email in my AWS account and it was rejected for similarly vague reasons below. In my case I’m using an EC2 instance attached to an Elastic IP.

Hello,

Thank you for submitting your request to have the email sending limit removed from your account and/or for an rDNS update.

This account, or those linked to it, have been identified as having at least one of the following:

• A history of violations of the AWS Acceptable Use Policy
  • A history of being not consistently in good standing with billing
  • Not provided a valid/clear use case to warrant sending mail from EC2

Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time, please consider looking into the Simple Email Service. Bulk Cloud Email Service - Amazon Simple Email Service - AWS

Regards,
AWS Trust & Safety

I’ve had this AWS account for nearly 10 years, but as far as I know I’ve never had any violations or payment issues on this account. So I truly have no idea why it was rejected since that canned response could mean anything.

I’ve replied to the request asking for more details, I will update when I hear back.

For what its worth, my MiaB server is (otherwise) running great in AWS. I’m able to receive mail without issues and seems to work otherwise.

Aside from the outgoing mail block, one additional note: I wasn’t able to use Route53 for the DNS since it has a very, uh, opinionated approach to subdomains and NS records. I setup the DNS records in Google Domains pointing to the MiaB Elastic IP. I use Route53 for my other domains/servers, so this was an unfortunate discovery, but its OK since I wanted email to be on its own isolated domain without anything else behind it. It might be possible to use Route53, maybe someone else has figured it out, but it was easier for me to go elsewhere.

After you receive there boiler plate response. It’s worth to give extra reasons and info, I think they send this to everyone no matter who they are to discourage spammers. The below is a summarised version of what I used few years ago and more recently two years ago. Just a note I do send the spam info out to my users (pretty limited in number) as part of their welcoming me pack. Best to be more specific with the parts that apply to you, and you may get a more positive response. Note that it might take a few back and forth.

Use case: Self hosted email and DNS utilising SPF and Dmarc for limited number of mailboxes tightly administered.

Administration fully complies with the US Spam act and (whatever your local regions equivalent is).

All users read and agree to adhere to the above acts before access is given.

Hello everyone,

It seems that AWS policy regarding MiaB in their cloud is very selective. Some users are granted permissions, some are not…
And what on earth does that depend upon?

Gregory

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.