Mail forwarding

I want user b@domain.com to receive a copy of emails that user a@domain.com is receiving.
How do I enable this email forwarding? I tried the alias function but that way only b@domain.com got the emails that were sent to a@domain.com. I want a@domain.com to receive the emails and b@domain.com to get a copy of them.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

You can try creating some mail filter rules inside the webmail (Roundcube) under Settings.

Hi Josh, is that the only way to achieve this, through mail filter rules?
Because I wanted to create this forwarding without the user being able to remove it, since they will be able to login and remove the filter rules through webmail.

Thanks

You could also make a@domain.com an alias too, and then forward to two accounts.

I just tried that and it worked, thanks :smiley:.
So it wont be a problem to use a@domain.com as an email account and at the same time using it as an alias to forward to a@domain.com and b@domain.com at the same time?

This is how the settings looks like:

Oh I donā€™t know about that. I wouldnā€™t do that. Make the user account something else.

You think by using a@domain.com as an email account and as an alias at the same time would be a problem?

Making a different user account for a@domain.com to say a1@domain.com would lead us to a new problem. When that user sends an email from his a1@domain.com account then that would be his ā€œsent fromā€ email. And when the receiver respons to an email sent from a1@domain.com it will not be sent to b@domain.com. Maybe by changing the From adress in the webmail (newer version of roundcube allow this) on a1@domain.com to a@domain.com would fix this problem but I donā€™t know how good it is to send emails from an alias.

Are there any other ways to achieve this type of forwarding that Iā€™m asking for?

Not necessarily. I think all versions of Roudcube allow that. IMAP login usernames normally arenā€™t related to email addresses.

Are there any other ways to achieve this type of forwarding that Iā€™m asking for?

Thatā€™s it.

Ok thanks.

What is wrong doing the forwarding like this?
https://discourse.mailinabox.email/uploads/default/95/86f7922c141c0f50.png

From a programmer point of view, I think it could lead to an infinite loop ! I donā€™t think it can work.

Ok thanks for the reply.

Can anyone please tell me what the best way would be to achieve this kind of forwarding?
I want to forward all mail that a@domain.com gets to b@domain.com and at the same time keep a copy of the mail in the inbox of a@domain.com without having to setup anything on the webmail settings for the user a@domain.com like rules etc. Since these rules and settings can be altered by the user a@domain.com in the webmail interface. I want this to be a backend solution where the user canā€™t turn off this forwarding.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

With the current mailinabox setup, I think the only two options are what Josh laid out.

Option 1) Create a@ as the alias and a1@ for the login. Then in Thunderbird or RoundCube you could have user a1@ send as a@. In roundcube it is in settings>>identities.
Option 2) Use the RoundCube filters to forward email, but that doesnt resolve your issue of the end user not having access.

I would think option 1 would accomplish what you want.

I feel that there must be some other way to do this.
I found this guide: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-849608.html#6463502
but I donā€™t know if this guide is valid for the Mail in a Box solution.

What do you guys think?

Iā€™m trying to do the exact same thing here, since people requested this feature more than two years ago, is there any way now to achieve this ?

I think the instructions may be a bit outdated.

Steps to forward all emails to other mailbox.

1. Log into RoundCube (webmail) interface.
  2. Click on ā€œSettingsā€ in top-right corner.
  3. Choose Filters from the menu on the left
  4. Under Filter Sets, click on ā€œ+ā€ sign in bottom-left corner for ā€œNew filters setā€.
    1. Name your filter set.
  5. Then under ā€œFilters", click on ā€œ+ā€ sign in bottom-left corner for ā€œFilter definitionā€
  6. Name your filter
  7. Select ā€œAll messagesā€. You can try other options here as well.
  8. Then under ā€œFilter Actionsā€, select ā€œSend a copy toā€ from dropdown menu. It will show a text-input field on right. Just enter destination email address where you want incoming emails to be forwarded.
  9. Finally, click ā€œSaveā€ button.
1 Like

Hello,

I am trying to set up email forwarding from my roundcube email to a new gmail account. The instructions to do so are again outdated as there is no longer a ā€˜filterā€™ tab in personal settings. Does anyone know how to achieve this basic forwarding? Help would be very much appreciated

Itā€™s still there:

Do Roundcube filters like this work even when you donā€™t usually use Roundmail to check your email (i.e. will it act on the mailbox such that IMAP clients see the changes)?

The Roundcube filters are dovecot-sieve, so they are applied when not logged into Roundcube.

1 Like