Let's Encrypt - Something went wrong, Sorry

You are hosting the websites for these domains using MiaB??? or are you simply hosting email for these domains?

Getting the alerts for certificates expiring and to provision them from lets encrypt as have done many time previously. have the 60sec has expired and the finish button is let just get a windows saying something went wrong with no other error.

@godzookee You didn’t answer my question … please answer it.

Another question, have you attempted to run the management/ssl_certificates.py script from the command line?

Let’s encrypt changed their protocol earlier this year. You will need to manually apply the certs. I recommend temporarily installing certbot, running it per it’s instructions page, then copying /etc/letsencrypt/live/* to /home/user-data/ssl/ (use common sense and copy to the proper domain folders!!!

1 Like

Thanks for the responses. Actually, It’s two domain names and apparently subdomains. Just using mailinabox for email. Staged in a digital ocean droplet. I tried installing certificates using the instructions at Certbot, installing from my digital ocean console. But I guess I only installed Certbot and didn’t perform the rest of the page,I was up until after midnight with broken software. Can’t do that again. I start work before 7 am.

Also, I seem to be dead in the water with my Digital Ocean console view. I was trying to type a pipe [ | ]character in the console using Alt codes I googled and can no longer see text in the console no matter what I do.

If you are using MailInABox just for email, you do not need certificates for any of your domains other than the mailserver itself (usually box.example.com).

The MiaB software decides what to alert me to, I guess. It’s sending me email SSL alerts for the box and 4 other things, including two email aliases and 2 unused associated www addresses.

Meanwhile, I did a hard reset of my Digital Ocean droplet and that fixed the frozen console problem. More to follow.

I am running sudo certbot certonly and there’s a command to "input the webroot for gatheringwind.com (my domain). What is a webroot? Thanks.

So, a hard reset of my digital ocean droplet revived my console window. Then upgrading the MiaB software fixed the SSL certificate errors.

Good to know … may I ask which version of MiaB you were running?

I thought I did answer your question. I guess I was wrong. Yes everything else is working fine just they system advising of expiring certificates. management/ssl_certificates.py script shows the following error

raceback (most recent call last):
File “./ssl_certificates.py”, line 803, in
provision_certificates_cmdline()
File “./ssl_certificates.py”, line 446, in provision_certificates_cmdline
status = provision_certificates(env, agree_to_tos_url=agree_to_tos_url, logg er=my_logger, force_domains=force_domains, show_extended_problems=show_extended_ problems)
File “./ssl_certificates.py”, line 331, in provision_certificates
logger=my_logger)
File “/usr/local/lib/mailinabox/env/lib/python3.4/site-packages/free_tls_certi ficates/client.py”, line 64, in issue_certificate
agree_to_tos_url, validation_method, acme_server, logger)
File “/usr/local/lib/mailinabox/env/lib/python3.4/site-packages/free_tls_certi ficates/client.py”, line 121, in validate_domain_ownership
challg = submit_domain_validation(client, regr, account, challenges_file, do main, validation_method, logger)
File “/usr/local/lib/mailinabox/env/lib/python3.4/site-packages/free_tls_certi ficates/client.py”, line 433, in submit_domain_validation
message = '; '.join(c.error.detail for c in challg.challenges if c.status.na me == “invalid”)
File “/usr/local/lib/mailinabox/env/lib/python3.4/site-packages/free_tls_certi ficates/client.py”, line 433, in
message = '; '.join(c.error.detail for c in challg.challenges if c.status.na me == “invalid”)
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘detail’

Thanks

According to the MiaB status checks change notice, I was running v0.25 before the upgrade to 0.26c.