ldaps (636/tcp) won't work on internal lan VM's

My setup is a baremetal AMD ryzen 7 wit single nic with IP 1 for Public/internet connection + additional IP 2 and MAC address for virtualization.This is configured as a debian 11 Linux server with proxmox and 2 Ubuntu 20.04LTS VM’s for Mail-in-a-box_LDAP (VM1), Cloud-in-a-Box (Nextcloud) (VM2) and a MX Linux (VM3) Workstation for maintenance/testing.

The MIAB_LDAP uses and serves ldap over port 636 to mail users and is designed to provide the CIAB (Nextcloud) with the same ldaps services for nextcloud users so that the two services can usethe same credentials for users on both mail and collaboration/storage services.

The 4th VM in this setup is a OPNsense server with version 20.19. It serves as the gateway and firewall and once working fully may also provide proxy and automated certification services through Let’s Encrypt.
I can access the internet through all VM’s and the Host. But ldaps will not connect between the VM1 & VM2

I am now frustrated and tired after 3 days of failure. There seems no reason for this failure. the default layout is as below in the attachment:

When I issue ~# lsof -i -P
on the mailserver with the ldap database I get 3 ldap readings

slapd 4242 openldap 8u IPv4 33726 0t0 TCP localhost.localdomain:389 (listen)
slapd 4242 openldap 9u IPv4 33728 0t0 TCP *:636 (listen)
slapd 4242 openldap 10u IPv4 33729 0t0 TCP *:636 (listen)

So it seems the ldaps port is open and listening.

As far as the network is concerned thanks for the warning on the IP’s but they are not my real ones.
I have and internal network lan of the range 192.168.0.0/24. Both mail and nextcloud VMs are no that lan and the ufw firewall on the mail/ldaps VM is set allow ldaps from anywhere the ip of the nextcloud/ldap client.

It is true I have one network card with an public IP set on VMBR0
The VMs access the world through VMBR1 using the separate mac address ordered specially for the second IP address bought for proxmox virtualization using a routed configuration similar to :

iface lo inet loopback

iface enp35s0 inet manual
up route add -net X.X.X.X/X netmask 255.255.255.X gw X.X.X.X dev
enp35s0

route X.X.X.X./X via X.X.X.X

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address <PUBLIC-IP/29>
gateway
bridge-ports enp35s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
pointtopoint
bridge_hello 2
bridge_maxage 12

auto vmbr101
iface vmbr101 inet manual
bridge-ports none
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
#OPNSense_LAN1

auto vmbr100
iface vmbr100 inet manual
bridge-ports none
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
#OPNSense_LAN0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge-ports none
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
#OPNSense_WAN0 Assigned to MAC Address of 2nd PUBLIC-IP

MiaB is developed to be installed to fresh install of 18.04 and essentially takes control of the entire instance and assumes the networking environment is identical to what is found in popular server hosts, such as Digital Ocean, Linode, Vultr, etc.

The other issues will be outside the scope of the project and likely this is not a good forum for getting this kind of assistance, if only because the people who can better help may visit only infrequently.

From what I can see my main server sits within a such a normal environment at Hetzner.com.
The only thing here is that I am attempting to virtualize the environment you mention and that is in no way unusual today.
There is a simple local LAN with a simple firewall and the installs are all on Ubuntu 18.04 & 20.04 respectively as per installation instructions. Both servers are working individually and I can access their admin interfaces. I have not as yet opened them up to query external dns because they servers they will take over from are still active.

But they are talking to each other as their is nothing between them other than the install ufw configuration and the ldaps rule as per instructions.

the OPNsense other then acting as a gateway has no rules obstructing the LAN so Iam stuck as to why ldaps is open and listening on VM1 but VM2 reports not finding it. I can only conclude that there is a configuration on VM2 that is attempting to search outside the LAN and I was hoping that some brighter more experience minds might help me solve and issue that can surely do no harm to the wider use of MiaB.
I’m sorry you feel this outside the scope of the project . I will persevere and post any answers that help.

Tnx

In your original post you stated you had MiaB installed to 20.04.

MiaB is not designed for installation to a LAN. It is for having a public IP address assigned directly to its interface. You may find something in this recent discussion to help you on this one point:

1 Like

Have you sniffed ldap packets to try and determine
If it tries to establish a session?

Thank you. That’s a great pointer. MiaB is 18.04. It’s the CiaB client trying to connect ldaps that’s 20.04. OPNSense is supposed to do something called refection which sounds suspiciously like “hair-pinning”
:ok_hand:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.