Key Tag algorithm

I am trying to setup DS record for a .US domain name. This is with GoDaddy. When I am adding a DS record, it is asking for a Key tag algorithm. This is identified within the GoDaddy control panel by a dropdown list with numbers from 1 to 12. Can you provide any information regarding this? This info doesn’t seem to be in the generated DS record anywhere.

TIA,
Scott

1 Like

Here is the verbiage from GoDaddy.

Key data alg:
The key data algorithm determines the method used for encrypting the public key. Values must be an integer between 0 and 255 and must match the server.

I think GoDaddy has something wrong. I spent time with their customer service trying to figure this out and got nowhere. Someone needs to get in touch with the .us tld operator to see what they mean.

So I am not the only one then…I was scratching my head on that one. I will see what I can do about finding out what they are requesting and will report back once I have something.

Scott

Same issue, it seems either godaddy messed, else this is data needed not provided by MIAB

contacted neustar.us customer support via email, awaiting response.

replied, mentioned algorithm, seems they are unaware of this key tag as well.

confirming with one last round email, if no clue taking msgs to godaddy engineer to resolve.

confirmed, forwarded to engineer with godaddy

spent 90mins with godaddy, tech was battling with higher-ups over the exact issue, the hard evidence I presented finally convinced escalate to engineering department, software development.

should be resolved soon.

:wink: :+1:

Called to follow up. Information this tech had states 1st developer concluded you should be able to use the same value in this field as the other labeled “algorithm”. I know this to be false as I tried all values. Second half of report states field may be pushed to “optional” instead of “required” after further testing is done.

##Update

Fixed. I put in the same value for algorithm as the key data alg, it accepted. Something has been changed.

It seems a passthrough has been allowed for the time being by putting the same value as “algorithm” ; however inspecting the record after creation shows N/A… so should be disabled

I’m not complaining. Progress!

Proper response this morning via email.

Discussion Notes
Support Staff Response
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting GoDaddy. I am a member of our Advanced Technical Support team and understand you are currently experiencing an issue with adding an DS record to .us domain names. At this time, our developers understand the issue you are facing and are diligently working on a resolution with a product update. We sincerely appreciate your patience as they work to resolve the issue.

In the mean time you should be able to use the same numerical value for Algorithm in the Key Data Algorithm field.

Please feel free to contact us 24/7 should you need any further assistance.

Regards,

[ …]
Advanced Technical Support