How to turn off/edit grelisting

Is there a way to turn off greylisting? It sounds good in theory, but at times can be infuriating.
E.G. trying to reset a password from Discord and the token expires before the email comes through.

I think some kind of toggle, and or setting in on the GUI to turn this off, or set the greylist timeframe would be useful for those ‘advanced’ users who want to tweak this.

Is there a config file, or some other way in the meantime?

An easy solution might be to whitelist certain mail client hostnames using /etc/postgrey/whitelist_clients

Or to Whitelist mail to certain recipients using cd /etc/postgrey/whitelist_recipients

Tim

Hello,
I too recently was looking for a solution for turning off the nasty greylisting. I found somewhere on this forum that you can “turn it off” by editing /etc/postgrey/whitelist_clients

nano /etc/postgrey/whitelist_clients

and adding this at the bottom of the file:

/.*/

I believe this file uses regex, so this would be more like telling greylisting to look for any character, repeated zero to infinite amount of times. Basically, it tells greylisting to allow everything through. Note, spamassassin, Fail2ban, and the blasklists are still in effect.

1 Like

Greylisting itself isn’t nasty. It’s a recognised technique to defeat certain types of spammer.

Greylisting only applies to the first email, then the sender should be recognized. After the first email arrives in the receivers inbox, send a new request for password reset. This is generally less of a hassle than the >10x increase in spam that will result from disabling greylisting.

When I used to manage my own servers I attempted to use the whitelist feature, but it’s actually a bit complicated because, IIRC, the whitelist has to contain the IP addresses, which is problematic with ginormous mail domains, such gmail.com, yahoo.com, etc.

Note that greylisting is used by many other mail servers, including Yahoo! The receiving server is clearly informed that the email is being greylisted. Here is a sanitized recent entry in one of my sending server logs:

May 29 01:10:18 sendingservername postfix/smtp[19750]: C14783F089: host mail.mailinaboxservername.com[] said: 450 4.2.0 <mailusername@mailinaboxservername.com>: Recipient address rejected: Greylisted, see http://postgrey.schweikert.ch/help/mailinaboxservername.com.html (in reply to RCPT TO command)
May 29 01:10:20 sendingservername postfix/smtp[19750]: C14783F089: to=<mailusername@mailinaboxservername.com>, relay=mail.mailinaboxservername.com[]:25, delay=4.8, delays=0.01/0.01/4.7/0.04, dsn=4.2.0, status=deferred (host mail.mailinaboxservername.com[] said: 450 4.2.0 <mailusername@mailinaboxservername.com>: Recipient address rejected: Greylisted, see http://postgrey.schweikert.ch/help/mailinaboxservername.com.html (in reply to RCPT TO command))

Perhaps see if Discord has an option to report issues somewhere, as they certainly have the staff available to deal with this on their servers, as this is very easy to see in their logs, and Yahoo! and others deposit similar responses to sending servers.

This topic was automatically closed after 61 days. New replies are no longer allowed.