Help: Waiting for the Mail-in-a-Box management daemon to start

I’ve been trying to upgrade the whole day, set up three different servers and I keep getting the
“Waiting for the Mail-in-a-Box management daemon to start…” loop…

I am trying to move from 14.04 to 18.04 (change of IP) but not luck.

Help me please.

Dist upgrade for MIAB (14.04/v0.30 --> 18.04/v0.40) is not currently supported. Hopefully you have some backups, I would either revert to a previous backup or bring up a new VPS/VM/whatever with a FRESH 18.04 as the instructions for updating from v0.30 -> v0.40 stated to do…

I get that. But my situation (i think) is a little bit different. This is what i did in more detail:

I started by setting up a new machine. My provider only offers preinstalled 14.04 or 16.04. I went for the 16.04 and upgraded to 18.04 straight away.

After upgrading the fresh machine I started the fresh MIAB installation (I have been following the Mail-in-a-Box version v0.40 and moving to Ubuntu 18.04 guide) and everything goes ok until the end when I get the “Waiting for the MIAB management deameon…” message which goes into a loop…

Is this situation equivalent to ‘dist upgrade for MAIB’ that you refer to?

1 Like

Perhaps, the solution provided in this one may help with your told Mail-in-a-Box management daemon to start…” loop…

1 Like

This is most likely your issue. Mail-in-the-Box requires a fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04 NOT an upgrade from Ubuntu 16.04.

Has the possible solution offered by @just4t helped? If not, I suggest that you start again with a Ubuntu 18.04 droplet either from a different provider or by supplying your provider a custom ISO to install from, if that option is available.

Thank you both very much! indeed @just4t’s pointed solution was the right one.

I stopped the loop and ran:

locale-gen en_US.UTF-8
update-locale LANG=en_US.UTF-8
reboot

then

curl -s https://mailinabox.email/setup.sh | sudo -E bash

and it worked as it should had.

thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.