Google error - receiving rate

Hello!

I’ve been running a MiaB server for 2 years without any problems. Lately [for about 2-3 months] some of the users’ emails do not get delivered and they receive an automated mail like this one below.

For all of the mails I checked the recipients are @gmail users or use Google Apps. They even got this error while sending to one of my Google Apps domains, and the “is receiving mail at a rate that prevents additional messages from being delivered” is not true, as I’m not receiving more than 2-5 emails daily.

I do believe this is not a MiaB issue, but I’m out of ideas on what I could try.
Maybe Google sees a new email sent to one of its domains and thinks it’s not legitimate, because it’s not receiving constant emails from my box?

host aspmx5.googlemail.com[173.194.67.26] said: 450-4.2.1 The user you are trying to contact is receiving mail at a rate that 450-4.2.1 prevents additional messages from being delivered. Please resend your 450-4.2.1 message at a later time. If the user is able to receive mail at that 450-4.2.1 time, your message will be delivered. For more information, please 450-4.2.1 visit 450 4.2.1 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=ReceivingRate j68si7403187otc.44 - gsmtp

Not that it is much help but I have the exact same problem when sending from miab - not when sending via my other SMTP server.

At this point any suggestion is welcome …

These links might help:

Are you running CSF: https://configserver.com/cp/csf.html If so, that may be the issue as it sends out email alerts. Google “CSF Alerts.”

Let us know what you find.

Hello ANC,

I was aware of Google’s support page, but I don’t think it’s relevant, as all the addresses we send to belong to small companies or individuals. There’s just no way they would be receiving 60+ emails per minute.

I am not running CSF, just a clean MiaB install.

Where is the cloud server? Linode? D.O? You might contact their tech support to see if maybe in their version of Ubuntu 14.04 they are including CSF? Worth a try.

DO. never thought of that, I’m contacting them right now. thanks for the hint! :slight_smile:

Got a reply back from DO:

We can confirm that CSF is not preinstall on any of our droplet distributions, including Ubuntu 14.04.4. LTS.

I don’t really know next steps for this, but I saw there are a couple [like @kimusan] of users affected by this, so maybe they’ll find this useful somehow. If I find more info about this I’ll be sure to post it here.

For anyone looking into this, please share your findings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am using DO as well and it is a clean miab box as well. I remember back in the days where graylisting was popular I saw similar problems with misconfigurede serveres. Graylisting told them to wait a bit andd resend, they then sent another mail again eight away… And continued to do so over and over again. I cannot see how that could happen with miab though… Just noted that it looked similar back then.

I also have a clean IP as I’ve checked and rechecked it. I’ve been running it with minimal maintenance for two years [just upgrades] but these problems started a few months ago [I think it was in October 2016].

I’ve just found the “Email Log Search” in Google Apps. It’s not available for free users [I’ve had my account since it was free and I never upgraded it since we’re a small enough organisation].

The link should look something like: https://admin.google.com/AdminHome?fral=1#Reports:subtab=email-log-search - Google’s admin console is quite confusing for me.

Searching for sent emails returns nothing - maybe I’m not allowed to view any reports prior to upgrading. All I hope is that I’ll be able to catch one of these errors and resolve the issue before my trial expires.