Finally did v60 upgrade - currently regretting it

Hi,

I’ve been putting offf doing the v60 upgrade but finally decided to do it today and now my MIAB is not functioning.

To do the upgrade I

1. Did a full backup
  2. Rebuilt my DO Droplet with Ubuntu 22.04 so it kept the same IP address (which it did)
  3. Installed MIAB
  4. Ran duplicity to restore my backup
  5. Ran MIAB again as per the instructions.

Now I’m left with a box that doesn’t function. Even though its IP address didn’t change I can’t access by its FQDN (box.mydomain.com/admin), only by IP address

Running mailinabox/manage/status_checks.py reports the same thing for ALL domains hosted on the box:

:heavy_multiplication_x: The nameservers set on this domain are incorrect. They are currently [Not
Set]. Use your domain name registrar’s control panel to set the nameservers
to ns1.box.mydomain.com; puck.nether.net.

Including for mydomain.com. When I check the registrar (NameCheap) nothing has changed, all domains are set correctly. And the fact that MIAB is reporting this for ALL the domains makes me think NameCheap isn’t the problem.

Also, if I check the Glue records on NameCheap, they are correctly set.

Can anyone help me diagnose and fix this?

Thanks

Steve

Here’s what status_checks.py says for the main domain (changed to mydomain.com and IP address changed as well - what it actually reports is the correct domain and IP address)

box.mydomain.com

:heavy_multiplication_x: Nameserver glue records are incorrect. The ns1.box.mydomain.com and
ns2.box.mydomain.com nameservers must be configured at your domain name
registrar as having the IP address 1.2.3.4. They currently report
addresses of [Not Set]/[Not Set]. It may take several hours for public DNS
to update after a change.
:heavy_multiplication_x: This domain must resolve to your box’s IP address (1.2.3.4) in public
DNS but it currently resolves to [Not Set]. It may take several hours for
public DNS to update after a change. This problem may result from other
issues listed above.
✓ Reverse DNS is set correctly at ISP. [1.2.3.4 ↦ box.mydomain.com]
✓ Hostmaster contact address exists as a mail alias.
[hostmaster@box.mydomain.com ↦ administrator@box.mydomain.com]
✓ Domain’s email is directed to this domain. [box.mydomain.com has no MX
record, which is ok]
✓ Postmaster contact address exists as a mail alias.
[postmaster@box.mydomain.com ↦ administrator@box.mydomain.com]
✓ Domain is not blacklisted by dbl.spamhaus.org.
✓ TLS (SSL) certificate is signed & valid. The certificate expires in 25 days
on 2022-11-24.

DNS isn’t working. So, I’d double check the simple things. Do you have DNSSEC enabled at the registrar? If so, disable it.

Do you have DNSSEC enabled at the registrar?

No - never enabled it.

There have been several reports all over this forum of this / similar issue.

Have you rebooted since you reinstalled? If so, did it solve the issue?

For those who have not rebooted and do not wish to reboot run the command sudo service nsd restart.

Note - I suspect that a simple reboot will resolve this - but have not seen any feedback from anyone who has tried, so if you’d be the guinea pig and try that and let me know … it’d be appreciated!

Yes, KISS. Start by restarting NSD. sudo service nsd restart.

How long did you wait? In my case it took a while until all the red bits turned green on the status page.

On about 15+ reboots now

How long did you wait? In my case it took a while until all the red bits turned green on the status page.

It’s been about 36 hours since I did the install as I write this. The status page still doesn’t load and status_checks.py still says they’re unset/unset.

Having the same issue here @stetho. Did you make any progress?

4 days later, has this been solved satisfactorily?
I’m not doing any upgrades or updates until I know that this issue is resolved.

No

I gave up and started from a fresh box. I set up all the domains from scratch and then I scp’d the websites and a few other bits from the old server and created mail accounts in my mail client (Apple Mail) for the old server using the old server’s IP instead of box.mydomain.com and then dragged and dropped the email over to the “new” account.

Not ideal but I’m close to where I should have been if the backup and restore method had worked.

Note: this fresh box still times out when trying to display the status page.

Thanks for the update - yikes, this is definitely a good reason to hold off on any thoughts of upgrades … especially if a newly installed box still times out. I hope this gets resolved soon.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.