Errors about IPV6 on New server

I just upgraded my server and I have status check errors that state:

System
:heavy_multiplication_x: SSH Login (ssh) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxxx port 22.
:heavy_multiplication_x: Public DNS (nsd4) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxxx port 53.
:heavy_multiplication_x: Incoming Mail (SMTP/postfix) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxxx port 25.
:heavy_multiplication_x: Outgoing Mail (SMTP 465/postfix) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxxx port 465.
:heavy_multiplication_x: Outgoing Mail (SMTP 587/postfix) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxxx port 587.
:heavy_multiplication_x: IMAPS (dovecot) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxxx port 993.
:heavy_multiplication_x: Mail Filters (Sieve/dovecot) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxxx port 4190.
:heavy_multiplication_x: HTTP Web (nginx) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxxx port 80.
:heavy_multiplication_x: HTTPS Web (nginx) is running and available over IPv4 but is not accessible over IPv6 at xxxx port 443.

Should I bother? I read posts that are from this year saying IPV6 will be important but isn’t implemented yet. Most of the others don’t really give direction. This is new host for me, but it appears I can setup IPv6 address and then I assume I would set a AAAA record, but would I just set a NS3 and NS4, or could I do that?

What do you mean exactly with “not implemented”? MiaB supports IPV6 and although not all mail servers do in the mean time most of them also use IPV6.

You can just enable it on your box and rerun the setup. There is no need for other nameservers beside the standard two. Important is that you point the glue records to your IPV4 and IPV6.

Always important to use a backup nameserver instead of ns2 to avoid a single point of failure.

I appreciate the info about the secondary DNS.

I went back to the post about the IPv6 and I could have sworn when I was reading it last night it was this year, but I was wrong it was from several years ago.

Dumb question - but have you rebooted the server?

I occasionally see statuses like that when the network has been down. (On my network IPv4 addresses are available promptly but it can take a little while until IPv6 addresses become available, so I guess the services do what they can when they wake up.) A reboot is the easy way to fix it. I have never bothered waiting to see if it would fix itself over time.

I ended up going into the hosting panel and assigning a IPv6 address then once it said it was completed re-running the mailinabox command, which instantly detected IPv6 and took care of the rest.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.