Different dns records in GUI & yaml file than on dig request

Hi Guys,

looks like I have a very special problem.

Before moveing the machine that worked out great:

MIAB was configured as multidomain Server with hostname mail.domail.tld with external webservices reachabele as domail.tld and www.domain.tld on different IPs

After moveing to a other pysical server i had serveral problems with dns so i made serveral changes till resolving the domain worked again but somewhere I must have made a mistake I guess.

problem now is that on the webGUI the config looks following:
mail.domail.tld A X.Y.Z.47
ns1.mail.domail.tld A X.Y.Z.47
ns2.mail.domail.tld A X.Y.Z.47
domail.tld A X.Y.Z.61
www.domail.ltd A X.Y.Z.61

so exactly like i want it,…

But my secondary dns still recives the Records like
mail.domail.tld A X.Y.Z.47
ns1.mail.domail.tld A X.Y.Z.47
ns2.mail.domail.tld A X.Y.Z.47
domail.tld A X.Y.Z.47
www.domail.ltd A X.Y.Z.47

dig @127.0.0.1 or any other machine gets the same

/home/user-data/dns/custom.yaml has domail.tld and www.domail.ltd as “A X.Y.Z.61”

sudo ./mailinabox/tools/dns_update --force

didnt help

Funfact or the point where i dont have a clue whats going on ist that the same settings work completly fine for domain[2-9].tld so it works for 8 domains but not the domain where the domain MIAB primary configured.

And yes I’m working on that problem for multible TTLs already

Hey @Wojtek

You mention Secondary DNS. Which provider?

Did you update the IP of the server with them when you migrated it?

PM me the MiaB hostname if you’d like me to poke around. :slight_smile: (found it)

So, it appears that your MiaB and WHOIS have different name servers set. I also am not seeing that MiaB recognizes that you’re using Secondary DNS.

You mention Secondary DNS. Which provider?

other machnie on the same host also like from Host Europe and Hetzner

Did you update the IP of the server with them when you migrated it?

Do you mean the Authority Server for the domain? Yes other ways all the ather domains would have been unreachable

No, I mean the provider of the Secondary DNS. They need to know from which IP AXFR requests are to be accepted.

But, that is irrelevant at this point, since WHOIS on the domain does not match the SOA and the authoritative NS in the records on your primary MiaB.

Of course, it is possible that I am looking at the wrong domain, though I doubt is since the x.x.x.47 matches. If you want to send me a PM confirming the MiaB hostname, and one or more of the other domains that DNS is being served for, I’ll try to point you in the right direction.

You may also find this to be helpful:

my second dns is selfhosted too

Its the complete wrong point of view u are focusing on. Its not the secondary DNS that is the problem.

The problem is that MIAB is providing a other IP for the A entries for www.domain.tld and domain.tld when u make a dig request than u can find in the GUI and the yaml file.

So nobody has a clue why MIAB doesnt send out the IP Adresses from the GUI and the yaml file on a dig request?

@alento is there anything i could do now beside asking the support of the provider where the domain is registered?

This topic was automatically closed 40 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.