Custom dns not updating public servers

Hello All,

Have been using mailinabox for awhile now and have noticed within the last week that none of my custom DNS entries are populating on public servers. Its been 7 days now on one of them. whatsmydns.net gives red Xs for all servers listed.

any thoughts?

1 Like

For these domains, do you have the nameservers set correctly to you MIAB? It sounds like those domains don’t realise that this is where their DNS is served from.

Generally speaking, within minutes of adding Customer DNS, whatsmydns will already show updated results.

everything is pointed correctly to the boxes name servers. It looks like it stopped working at least for me with the .21 update. Ive rebooted the box and deleted and re added those domain names but i get nothing, most of them are sub domains that are hosted being served on other IPs

here is one that works

dig @localhost preview.my4x.club

; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-3ubuntu0.10-Ubuntu <<>> @localhost preview.my4x.club
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 56089
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;preview.my4x.club. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
preview.my4x.club. 1800 IN A 162.243.72.75

;; Query time: 5 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Sat Dec 10 23:02:40 EST 2016
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 62

and one that doesnt.

dig @localhost mycloud4.my4x.club

; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-3ubuntu0.10-Ubuntu <<>> @localhost mycloud4.my4x.club
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 49960
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mycloud4.my4x.club. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
my4x.club. 1800 IN SOA ns1.mail.my4x.club. hostmaster.mail.my4x.club. 2016120401 7200 1800 1209600 1800

;; Query time: 3 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Sat Dec 10 23:00:14 EST 2016
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 103

Strange.

You must be working on it right now, because your main domain shows NS as your MIAB in some cases but then using Digital Ocean’s standard ones in other cases?

i set the secondary name servers to the digital ocean one ns2.digitalocean.com i think it was, but the main is pointed to ns1.mail.my4x.club

i switched it back to the ns2.mail.my4x.club but i think i was having the issue prior to me switching it as well.

I am not sure if you can use Digital Ocean’s nameservers as secondary like that. Get them back to:
ns1.mail.my4x.club
ns2.mail.my4x.club

as you had, which should work just fine.

is there a command to flush the DNS cache or reset the zones? This is what I found last night, I added a new FQDN to the box and set the custom DNS for it before I even got to whatsmydns.net DNS works great. I added a subdomain for the new FQDN and that one works just fine.

It seems any new sub-domain of the original FQDN will not add. Is there a hard limit? Ive tried multiple sub-domain names and 3 different IPs and nothing.

Have you tried re-running the:
sudo mailinabox
command?

All the zones are stored in:
/etc/nsd/zones

You could have a look at the main domain there and see what is being stored.

If things are really screwed up, if you delete one of the zone files and then re-run the mailinabox command, setup will rebuild it.