Changed IP address, MIAB blows up

Hey.

I had MIAB running on Ubuntu 14 on amazon AWS.
I was using MIAB DNS for my domain which was configured through godaddy to point to custom MIAB nameservers, which then directed to my host ip, everything was working.

Today I assigned an elastic IP to the MIAB instance and unsurprisingly everything stopped working.
I reran “sudo mailinabox” to no avail

Any ideas?

Go to GoDaddy and change the glue records to reflect the new IP.

Wait.

It should start working within 0-48 hours.

ETA: Did rerunning sudo mailinabox pick up the correct new IP address? If not, you may need to run it again after fixing the glue record at GoDaddy.

1 Like

To change the IP for MIAB:

1. Change glue records first
  2. Then run sudo mailinabox if the setup does not detect the new IP cancel and wait.
  3. repeat 2 until new IP shows up.
  4. Run through setup as normal.
  5. reboot to make sure all changes to IP / hostname can take affect.
  6. Profit
1 Like

My previous account was prevented from posting for some infuriating reason so I created this one.
I’ve updated the glue records at GoDaddy as well as the name servers to point to MailInABox.

When I run “management/status_checks.py” I get:

System

:heavy_multiplication_x: SSH Login (ssh) is running but is not publicly accessible at

:heavy_multiplication_x: Public DNS (nsd4) is not running (port 53).
:heavy_multiplication_x: Incoming Mail (SMTP/postfix) is running but is not publicly accessible at
:25.
:heavy_multiplication_x: Outgoing Mail (SMTP 587/postfix) is running but is not publicly accessible
at :587.
:heavy_multiplication_x: IMAPS (dovecot) is running but is not publicly accessible at
:993.
:heavy_multiplication_x: HTTP Web (nginx) is running but is not publicly accessible at
:80.
nginx: the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful
:heavy_multiplication_x: HTTPS Web (nginx) is running but is not publicly accessible at
:443.
nginx: the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful

Any idea why I’m getting all these “not publicly available” messages?

Relevant ports are open on AWS

I found the issue (or at least AN issue)

Visited https://intodns.co
Entered my domain.

Noticed the warning:
“Looks like the A records (the GLUE) got from the parent zone check are different than the ones got from your nameservers. You have to make sure your parent server has the same NS records for your zone as you do.I detected some problems as follows:”
Sure enough, the IP I was using in the setup of mailinabox was one number off from the one in my host.

Must’ve been a typo.

Now I can hit /admin again!

1 Like