Canonical Livepatch Service

So I’ve updated to Ubuntu 18.04, updated MIAB, and went through a few glitches, but am running fine now. I do notice that when I SSH to my MIAB box, my Ubuntu 18.04 Welcome screen is telling me about the " Canonical Livepatch Service". Is it advisable to use this with MIAB or does anyone have any comments about this? From what I’m reading, can potentially take another regular maintenance chore out of the routine.

I would do this. It allows you to apply kernel patches without a reboot. So less down time for you.

Thanks Murgero. I wholeheartedly agree. I just didn’t want to enact a non-sanctioned MIAB change.

I mean, it wont be supported here, but I highly doubt it will cause problem.

Just take a snapshot / backup of your VM before applying the update, worst case you role it back

bdmacl, it’s a month on, now. What was your experience with the live patch service??

I’m not sure I had any problems, but I did experience some other issues that prompted me to wipe my server, install Ubuntu and MIA from scratch, and restore my mailboxes. I just put Livepatch back on. I’ll update if I notice anything going forward.

Any issues with LivePatch since the rebuild?

No issues that I am aware of.

4 updates came through yesterday.
Supposedly 3 were security updates.

Did livepatch handle things ok?

Dennis

My status update email from today states:
There are 5 software packages that can be updated.
distro-info-data (0.37ubuntu0.3)
file (1:5.32-2ubuntu0.2)
libmagic1 (1:5.32-2ubuntu0.2)
libmagic-mgc (1:5.32-2ubuntu0.2)
python3-distro-info (0.18ubuntu0.18.04.1)

When I login to my server, I see only 2 packages need to be updated, and 0 security updates. When I ran update/upgrade, only 2 were updated. And logging into the MIAB console doesn’t show any errors or reboot messages, leaving me to believe everything is working as expected.