Can MiaB's Postfix handle Mailman?

Hi everyone,

I’ve been using Mail-in-a-Box for years, and loving it! Huge thanks to @JoshData and the rest of the teamfor all their continued work! I especially love how easy it makes managing domains and their records.
I’m looking into setting up a couple mailing lists with Mailman. This would be on another server, using a subdomain. For purposes of stuff, let’s say the main domain is stuff.lol. The box is box.stuff.lol, and there would be a server running the Mailman suite at lists.stuff.lol.
Some googling suggested setting up Postfix on the Mailman server in a satellite configuration, though that’s all I’ve been able to find so far. Postfix configuration is a bit out of my depth. :slight_smile: I’m wondering:

• Do I need a Postfix running on the Mailman server?
  • If so, how should I configure it (aside from Mailman’s advice) since MiaB is managing the domain and it’s DKIM/SPF/… records?

Or, can I directly use the Postfix running on MiaB? I’m guessing not, since that would be messing with the configuration and would probably be overwritten by the next upgrade.

Thanks for all your help!

Anyone got any tips here? Can’t seem to find much about this. Should MiaB even be handling this at all?

This is an unsupported modification. Read this forum on how to install mailman on a separate instance. Mailman will use a lot of resources if installed together with MIAB. Also your domain reputation will decline and you will face deliverability problems if using MIAB with mailing lists. Maybe you should try forwarding the mailing lists via free Mailgun mailgun.net or Sendgrid with free Mailjet. Depending where you host your instance AWS Amazon SES and OCI have their own mail forwarders with good reputation allowing up to 1500 messages for free. Then it is a matter of configuring mailman.

Right. I don’t want to install Mailman on the same instance. I have a separate server for it. My question is more how the two work together and what to do with the Mailman-running server, because MiaB is managing the domain and is authoritative.

1 Like

Also this might be relevant in terms of setting the local postfix to 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost

https://lists.mailman3.org/archives/list/mailman-users@mailman3.org/thread/VNGXOGZP4NXPNFXXY7GFEHTU67ZNTHSN/

I use mailman 2.x