Can I create emails as per RFC?

Can emails on MIAB be created as per RFC, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address#Local-part? For example, could I create an user with email: !user!word/word@example.com?

User account email addresses may only use the lowercase ASCII letters a-z, the digits 0-9, underscore (_), hyphen (-), and period (.).

Ah, well… there goes my main objective, and goal.

Shoot me an email to ~ferengi/deepspace-nine@quark.rocks and see how it works.

Sorry about that … I tried to create an account as you had listed and that was the error message returned by MiaB. Since you are going to be picking through the install scripts, you can probably find and modify this limitation in the scripts.

Done! Sending is not a problem … it is just the creation of accounts on the system.

And replied. :slight_smile: From a Star Trek fan.

… for MiaB.

I just ran that email address through an email validation tool and it was flagged as invalid. So you are up against the configurations of every different email server … just be aware of this - because I can send to you via MiaB, the next user may not be able to with their mail system.

The tool is flawed, I can assure you. Any decent email client will conform to the formal definitions.

I wouldn’t doubt that … but on the same token many email server configurations are flawed. So just a heads up!

Hmm, the Ferengi have invaded my test inbox! :wink:

Have a read of this

https://www.jochentopf.com/email/chars.html

Just because the characters are technically allowed by the RFC’s doesn’t mean you should use them. The article explains why using certain characters is a bad idea.

This is from the Wikipedia article you linked:

Despite the wide range of special characters which are technically valid, organisations, mail services, mail servers and mail clients in practice often do not accept all of them. For example, Windows Live Hotmail only allows creation of email addresses using alphanumerics, dot ( . ), underscore ( _ ) and hyphen ( - ).[9] Common advice is to avoid using some special characters to avoid the risk of rejected emails.

Just use an alias on Mail-in-a-Box to create the address. That should work without any problem.

The limitation in user accounts isn’t just for fun - it’s because Dovecot, which manages login credentials, has limitations.

1 Like

Yes, I knew about the page you linked, and the caveats on certain characters. That is why I picked three that, after many tests, have proven to be pretty safe.

@JoshData I saw that. The characters allowed to Dovecot are configurable, though, so it could be done. I ended up using aliases (or virtual map entries, in my case).