Backup via rsync seems sort of broken

@durd, I was able to restore from 0.30 to 0.40 but I wonder if the backups of 0.40 are valid :wink:
I was very pleased with the way the upgrade from 0.30 to 0.40 went after I got access to my newly installed machine again

Chicken - egg: DigitalOcean sends password of box to my mail … oh oh … yeah … that machine i accidently removed (after all the backups etc… ) but before the new machine was made …

Ah, I understand; No, I haven’t tried restoring my new v0.40 backups. I’m betting on the issues being fixed properly before I have to restore anything :slight_smile:
I’m also just relaying emails via MIAB, none are stored there for more than 20mins, unless it’s in Junk.

i will test this weekend a restore on a spare VM to see if it can be unpacked …
did that before I restored 0.30 to 0.40 to be 100% sure my backups were valid :wink:

1 Like

w00t …

seems that it works at my site now as well after I removed the manually made backups

1 Like

@durd I tested the rsync feature with also the duplicity unpack method with secret key.

Where rsync first created folders, after removing and altering the backup.py now all files are created accordingly and I am able to restore the data

puffer:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-PufferBackup/Backup_Mail# sudo -E duplicity restore --force file:///srv/dev-disk-by-label-PufferBackup/Backup_Mail /home/testmailserver
Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
Last full backup date: Thu Jan 24 03:00:06 2019

data will be unpacked now.
including incremental stuff

Kool, sounds great :slight_smile:

Yesterday setup rsync for the first time and was wondering why there are no listed backups in the admin backup-status page and there were folders synced instead of files. After I commented out the line you mentioned it’s working now! Thanks!

I hope it will be changed in the main install soon.

1 Like

Commenting out that line breaks backup for me:

Attempt 1 failed. BackendException: File /tmp/duplicity-ZNKYnk-tempdir/mktemp-oRd6Y4-2 not found locally after get from backend
Attempt 2 failed. BackendException: File /tmp/duplicity-ZNKYnk-tempdir/mktemp-oRd6Y4-2 not found locally after get from backend
Attempt 3 failed. BackendException: File /tmp/duplicity-ZNKYnk-tempdir/mktemp-oRd6Y4-2 not found locally after get from backend
Attempt 4 failed. BackendException: File /tmp/duplicity-ZNKYnk-tempdir/mktemp-oRd6Y4-2 not found locally after get from backend

show that part of your backup.py cause many have it working after altering this little part.
after modification restart mailinabox or restart server.

Here you go:

from utils import load_environment, shell, wait_for_service, fix_boto

rsync_ssh_options = [
        #"--ssh-options='-i /root/.ssh/id_rsa_miab'",
        "--rsync-options=-e \"/usr/bin/ssh -oStrictHostKeyChecking=no -oBatchMode=yes -p 22 -i /root/.ssh/id_rsa_miab\""
]

def backup_status(env):

After deleting the old backups, it is now working as expected. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like