Any reason not to support SPDY?

I’m wondering why the nginx configuration doesn’t support SPDY - is there a reason not to add the spdy directive in nginx.conf like:

server {
	listen 443 ssl spdy;
	listen [::]:443 ssl spdy;

	server_name $HOSTNAME;

Cheers,
Andy

I think Ubuntu doesn’t ship the latest nginx w/ spdy version. See https://github.com/mail-in-a-box/mailinabox/pull/269.

-Norman

Norman,

a nginx -V shows me –with-http_spdy_module …

And enabling it as suggest in my previous post is working…

Cheers,
Andy

Hi,

the latest nginx version we use (1.4.6) (compared to nginx stable 1.8) only comes with SPDY/2, which is IIRC already outdated.

Chrome and Firefox stop supporting SPDY/2 already.

-Norman

Norman,

I know, but I have some hopes that Ubuntu will supply a more resent version of nginx sooner or later. My point is, that enabling SPDY is of no harm, but could give some benefits (especially when a newer version of nginx with SPDY/3 support is available).

Cheers,
Andy

That logic does not fly.

We’ll enable SPDY (or more likely HTTP/2) when we ship a version of nginx that supports it, and after testing.

2 Likes

This, is coming very soon with mainline version, but sadly will take time to be included on ubuntu repo :(.