Admin Login - OWNCLOUD

Just loaded product;

I want to ADMIN the Owncloud instance, I am setup as an “admin” in the Mail in a Box admin page, but that does not allow me to login as admin to Owncloud. How do I get in as a ADMIN?

Correct.

There is a script at https://github.com/mail-in-a-box/mailinabox/blob/master/tools/owncloud-unlockadmin.sh but once you run it you are on your own!

2 Likes

Wow!

Thanks so much for the very quick response,
Nice package of goodies,
Your instructions are the best I have seen,
Very easy to follow,

thanks

@joshdata, I’m just running tests and was wondering:

1. There’s a default owncloud admin root account with a random password that I see after running the above script. I want to update it and login via that account.
  2. After changing it, will it break your updates and if so, how do I set it back to a password your scripts understand to run the appropriate update & so MIAB controls it.

I know it’s not supported but I simply want to know about this root account & it’s password. I couldn’t find the documentation to secure it to hopefully change this password to my own random password that’s not system-set (you know, for paranoid reasons).

Thank you for your time.

1 Like

Hello ,
After ran the script in my box , I’m still not having admin access,
I would like to enable external storage in owncloud …
Any suggestion?

Did run it from the correct directory? I can’t remember exactly but you either need in the dir where the script resides or one level up.

Also curious about item 2 here. Been looking around and have yet to find a solid answer.

does this script work for the nextcloud ? and does the next cloud work as a full nextcloud application with the ability to use all the add-ons?

This says how to change set what user/mail account will be the NextCloud admin.

1 Like

The last open question is: how to enter owncloud login via web once admin account is accepted? Is that configured in nginx somewhere?

@michael-heuberger, Bro, this post was first opened in 2014. We don’t even use Owncloud anymore, we use its modernized fork–Nextcloud. Make a new topic.

Use the box URL so for example https://box.example.com/cloud.

Granted, Michael should have added this question to his current topic which he had opened… but sometimes mistakes happen. It is not the end of the world.
Even though MiaB switched to the NextCloud fork, this topic is EXTREMELY relevant still as the steps to adding the NextCloud admin are the same still even including the file name involved. Though granted, I think I linked the wrong post … even worse the process is easier nowadays as the script is in ./mailinabox/tools in everyone’s MiaB … so no need to download the script directly from Github anymore.

1 Like

thanks man … what if instead of www.example.com/cloud, i want to change it to cloud.example.som?

have it a subdomain instead of a path. where can i change this? under nginx?

You can technically do that, but it’s unsupported and I wouldn’t recommend it.

If you need to, you can make it so that say cloud.example.com redirects or reverse proxies example.com/cloud instead.

Why are directory trees using owcloud subdirs created by a Feb2020 Miab server ubuntu installer ? /usr/local/lib/owncloud or data under /home/user-data/owncloud/ml@ty.us/files/html-android

Will this script reset the db password ? Is the db that miab installs shared by NextCloud? Is the db sqlite3 or maria ? Miab insaller a feb2020 release, ubuntu 18
.root@box:~# sudo -u www-data php /usr/local/lib/owncloud/occ -V
Nextcloud 17.0.2

@skidmark This thread is quite old. Because @JoshData likes designing MIAB with absolute simplicity and ease-of-maintinance, there is no additional database server running, so it uses SQLite (a file-based SQL solution).

Also, I’m not sure if you are reading code, or are trying to figure out how MIAB works without reading the code, but MIAB sets up Nextcloud to biggyback off Dovecot, so that the same username/passwords for mail are used for Nextcloud logins. I have advocated for OpenLDAP implementation, but without knowing how it works or how to use it, that proposal fell apart.

I’m wondering if you can help.

I ran the following script and received the following error.

/root/mailinabox/tools/owncloud-unlockadmin.shl