Ubuntu Migration Plan

Well. The upgrade went well :slight_smile: During the process I updated the upgrade instructions above a couple of times.

I havenā€™t been able to notice any problems, and I can still send/get email.

/happy dance/ :beers: :coffee: :wine_glass:

Thanks you for posting your experience! Iā€™ll copy your steps into our official upgrade suggestions (once we go live with the new branch). :slight_smile:

1 Like

How would updating MiaB from the bionic branch be performed after this install?

I installed bionic branch in Oct 2018 to make a non-critical email server. It has performed perfectly ever since. Today I tested migration from this to a new clean 18.04.01 server. I used the work flow suggested above by Illume. Bionic branch and the user-data restore both installed perfectly apart from one little thing. The server now seems to be performing equally well to the previous installation.
The one thing was this, see picture.

Early on I was asked for the main email address but I was unable to select the suggested me@localhost in order to change it. I could only toggle between OK and cancel. I solved the problem in a dirty way by editing questions.sh line 47 to the address I wanted. Is the inability to select the email address field just me not understanding something, or a bug?

@triangledigital Sounds like a bug, but Canā€™t confirm. I canā€™t remember needing to change that, because I think it had my email address in there correct (itā€™s been some days, so my memory could be wrong). Did you try pressing up-arrow-key to get into that edit box? Might be worth submitting an issue: https://github.com/mail-in-a-box/mailinabox/issues

@JoshData, is it possible for us to get a ā€œbetaā€ branch and an ā€œalphaā€ branch, so we can somewhat lock down working versions of the development version for Ubuntu 18.04?

there is a bionic branch, which is a ā€œworkingā€ version for 18.04ā€¦

Edit, sorry it was ā€œubuntu_bionicā€

Link: https://github.com/mail-in-a-box/mailinabox/tree/ubuntu_bionic

So whereā€™s the potentially not-working version of ubuntu_bionic?

Can anyone share what the update path looks like from beta to stable? Wil it require complete reinstallation?

I believe @joshdata said that it would be best to do a clean install for the 18.04 branch once it is stable. However I have not been able to locate that comment.

I believe that #4 in this thread may be the message you are referring toā€¦

@alento to be fair, I am legally blind :smile:

LOL, I do not believe you ā€¦ i have seen how you can spot things in server logs that an eagle would miss. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Wellllllllll Legally Blind in ONE eye technically. :wink:

That reply is regarding upgrading from 14.04. My question is in regards to updating from beta to stable.

I would be willing to install beta if the expected update path to stable doesnā€™t require a reinstallation of the OS.

Guys, guys, if you want to talk about @murgero being legally blind, go do that on another thread (perhaps a new one that is created for that). People come to this thread to talk about the migration from Ubuntu 14.04 to Ubuntu 18.04.

@JoshData would have to give the definitive answer on that ā€¦ but my expectation would be that the next release would also duplicate as a newer version to upgrade to from the ubuntu_bionic branchā€¦ in other words, I would imagine that nothing more than the normal upgrade process would be needed. I would be shocked if this were not the case. We will await confirmation from the project maintainer.

1 Like

Iā€™m treating the ubuntu_bionic branch as a release candidate, so the only changes that will happen on that branch from now until the release are fixing major problems that block a release. (Hopefully there wonā€™t be any!)

Since the ubuntu_bionic branch hopefully wonā€™t change much from now until a release, upgrades will just be a git pull and re-running the Mail-in-a-Box setup setup/start.sh. So, at this point, Iā€™m comfortable encouraging people to try out that branch and stick with it until a release.

1 Like

Hello, in a fresh install 18.04 stumbled on

Mail-in-a-Box only supports being installed on Ubuntu 14.04, sorry. You are running:
    Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
    We can't write scripts that run on every possible setup, sorry.

What I followed was:

git clone https://github.com/mail-in-a-box/mailinabox
cd mailinabox
sudo setup/start.sh