Ssl trouble upgrading to v65 on ubuntu 22.04 breaks nginx

Good luck with reinstalling. If you join the mailinabox Slack workspace, you can PM me (same user name as here), and I might be able to help get you sorted. Slack is sometimes useful for getting help in realtime.

Yes the old setup became useless because let’s encrypt cert expired and the old setup was not able to renew.

Now on the latest fresh ubuntu 22.04 things are looking good:

Installing nsd (DNS server)…
Generating DNSSEC signing keys…
Installing Postfix (SMTP server)…
Installing Dovecot (IMAP server)…
Creating new user database: /home/user-data/mail/users.sqlite
Installing OpenDKIM/OpenDMARC…
Installing SpamAssassin…
Installing Nginx (web server)…
Installing Roundcube (webmail)…
wal
Installing Nextcloud (contacts/calendar)…

Upgrading to Nextcloud version 25.0.7

Nextcloud is already latest version
photos 2.0.1 disabled
dashboard 7.5.0 disabled
activity 2.17.0 disabled
Installing Z-Push (Exchange/ActiveSync server)…
Installing Mail-in-a-Box system management daemon…
Installing Munin (system monitoring)…

and indeed all working via
https://ip-adress/admin with self-signed cert

of course this is now a bare setup and I will have mess about royally to get the old backup restored without breaking it.

Sorry to trouble you one more time:

Would it work if I were to

1. stash the present “good” ssl directory
  2. restore the backup (which will break ssl by all accounts)
  3. replace the stashed “good” ssl directory

That definitely doesn’t follow the prescribed procedure for upgrading MiaB from 18.04 to 22.04. So, I don’t really know because if upgrading is your goal, then you should use the backup to do this. Here’s a question, do you really need to do an upgrade here (i.e., restore the old system on the new system)? Or could you get by with just installing a new 22.04 MiaB and configuring it from scratch?

The reason I ask is, if you overwrite the SSL directory from the restore with what you had before the restore, then I really have no idea if that’s going to work, but I would suspect it’s going to create a whole new set of problems.

Wise words.

I will configure from scratch (restored backup in other place)

will take some doing:

users.sqlite
cloud for all users
email for all users
restore old website

My latest problemmette:

gris@some:~$ sudo -E duplicity restore --force file:///home/gris/20232007 /home/gris/temp-restored-backup/
Synchronizing remote metadata to local cache…
Copying duplicity-full-signatures.20230925T011217Z.sigtar.gpg to local cache.
GPGError: GPG Failed, see log below:
===== Begin GnuPG log =====
gpg: AES256.CFB encrypted data
gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
gpg: decryption failed: Bad session key
===== End GnuPG log =====

Wrong version of GnuPG apparently. I will try it on an ubuntu 18 box when I get access.

"gpg: decryption failed: Bad session key" means the secret key you are using to restore is not the correct secret key.

You need your old backup key, not the new one created by the new install

Thank you.

Yes, I was using the old key but it appears that duplicity on ubuntu 22.04 cannot decrypt. I am setting up a virtual box with the old ubuntu 18. and will try to decrypt the backup using that and then copy the results to the new ubuntu 22.04 box, which is empty but working fine.

Many thanks to @dms & also to @digititus for helpful support. I have now managed to restore the backed up data, which I am moving to the new ubuntu 22.04 box as we speak.
Thanks a lot!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.