Public DNS (nsd4) is not running ( port 53). whereas this service is running status

I’ve wasted massive amounts of time with this one. In the process I was able to clean up the installation considerably. I have some feedback - unsure the best way to get this to anyone who cares.

1. Some VPS installations are sensitive to logging issues. The MIAB configuration never worked on my VPS. The simplest workaround is to change nsd.conf to use log-only-syslog: yes, and I would suggest that this should be the default configuration (that will work in most cases). If someone wants to log to a file, they can do their system-specific configurations to enable that.

2. I found that a cleaner setup included adding port: 53 to the configuration file. The startup log was very clear and helped me through troubleshooting the underlying issue in my situation. So, it would have been helpful if this had been a default setting; also recommend making it a default.

3. And THE change that would have saved me HOURS of troubleshooting would have been if the “Public DNS (nsd4) is not running ( port 53).” status message were changed to “Public DNS (nsd4) is not running (IP port 53).” - include the IP address that was tested. This turned out to be the issue in my situation, and that one additional piece of information would have made a big difference.

In case anyone can benefit from my experience … the status checks uses PUBLIC_IP to do its tests. What happened in my case was that the PUBLIC_IP was not responding to the DNS request, but the PRIVATE_IP was. For whatever reason, my ISP was not handing the port 53 request to the server.