G Suite is becoming Google Workspace - will they migrate to MIAB?

I also migrated one user to an existing mailinabox.

I downloaded the calendar via Google Takeout and imported it into Nextcloud.

For the emails, I used https://imapsync.lamiral.info, which syncs emails from one IMAP server to another. Worked flawlessly for me.

Thanks for the tips.

Iā€™m going to try using

1 Like

I finished setting up my first MIB today and can find no reason not to move the company over to this platform. 18 users will be the work load so it is not huge. I found a VPS with Racknerd, $35 for a year gave us 3 cpu and 60gig drive. Much better than the google offering. This has been fun, almost like Christmas.

2 Likes

Sad to see that they would take away G Suite Free just to make you pay, keep in mind they are a billion dollar company. :sob:

Keep in mind that a billion dollar company got to be one by charging for things. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Add me to the list of Google Workspace refugees. Ive been running Linux servers with websites for years now, but always steered away from trying to roll my own email server [far too many obscure acronyms and settings for my wee noggin to cope with].

Iā€™ve just setup MIAB on a new Linode VPS and am muddling my way through the setup. Made slightly more complicated by the fact Iā€™m running the new VPS with MIAB as a dedicated mailserver on a subdomain of my main website, which is based on a different VPS. So Iā€™m having to go down the ā€˜external DNSā€™ route, as I donā€™t want to change anything on my webserver if I can help it, as itā€™s been humming along nicely for years.

So far, Iā€™ve moved a couple of little used domains onto MIAB and they seem to be working OK most of the time. Although I have run into the odd error where both the MIAB subdomain on my VPS and the corresponding root domain on my webserver VPS have become unreachable at times. But, as I only started setting this all up yesterday, Iā€™m assuming Iā€™m still missing some esoteric settingā€¦ or itā€™s just DNS propagation issues. Although that doesnā€™t explain why I was losing access to my root domain on a separate VPS at the same time.

Oh well, Iā€™ve got til July/August to tweak my MIAB and get everything working before I bite the bullet and try transferring my decade+ worth of email off Google. 30000+ emails in both inbox and sent, last time I checked!

I left imapsync running a dry run overnight and it completed OK. So, fingers crossed, the real one will be equally pain free, when the time comes.

Anyway, thatā€™s the random intro post out of the way. Expect to see me around here in future days and weeks, if/when I run into snags.

Only supports up to 3GB

For ā‚¬120 EUR you will get:

• Imapsync full professional support (that costs also ā‚¬120 EUR by itself, see why below).
  • Access without any limit to the imapsync online service, like /X but without the 3 GB limit.
  • Standalone imapsync.exe for win32, easy installation done by a zip extraction anywhere. See README_Windows.txt for details.
  • Standalone imapsync_bin_Darwin for Mac OS X. (Catalina ok with a permission deed)
  • Imapsync Perl source code for any operating system, Unix, Windows, OS X.
  • The visual interface, similar to /X, to install the service on your own Linux server (not working on Windows yet).
  • Lifetime of imapsync updates without extra payment.
  • 30-day money back guarantee! No question nor condition to get a refund, really, just request it and youā€™ll sure get a refund!
  • No limit to do anything with imapsync and its license.

Just noticed this: #G Suite legacy free edition
https://support.google.com/a/answer/2855120

For individuals and families using your account for non-commercial purposes, you can continue using the G Suite legacy free edition and opt out of the transition to Google Workspace by clicking here (requires a super administrator account) or in the Google Admin console.

Are they trying to keep the home users? :wink:
May be too late ā€¦ :wink:

So I have 5 users across 3 domains.

GMail - Total used 13.31 GB

Drive 491.5 MB
Gmail 12.81 GB
Photos 30.7 MB

So I` am thinking that I use a PC with Thunderbird download all 5 users e-mails via pop3 (no copies on the GMail servers) then set up all 3 domains on MIAB and copy drag/drop the e-mails to individual Inboxes/Send boxes etc of the 5 users.

Also thinking of setting up new Power Mail-in-a-Box is running Debian 11 (bullseye), but then I could use the migration tool implemented into PowerMIAB, anyone tried this successfully?

Others have reported transferring via IMAP on both ends through copy and paste in Thunderbird. Take care you have a reasonable upload rate to support this or enough time to complete. Of course, downloading using POP3 is probably a good idea as a final archive.

IIRC, there is also a dovecot tool already installed to MiaB for synchronizing with a remote server specifically for this purpose, but I havenā€™t used it though it is in the Dovecot documentation.

I vaguely recall successfully using imapsync on the command line and never paid anyone anything. These may be useful, if you havenā€™t found them already:

1 Like

I have left it too late now, so will try next weekend.

I have for now agreed to opt out of the transition to Google Workspace by clicking on that link ā€¦so that hopefully gives me some extra time ā€¦to do it over the weekend when the weather is not that great to go out :wink:

I did this for 3 domains over 2 weekends using thunderbird. My MAIB has been running on AWS for years so I just needed to move these 3 other domains over cause of Google. It took some time and I obviously had to increase the storage but I am glad I did it.

1 Like

Great to hear that it worked for you :slight_smile:

• POP3 / Thunderbird.