Blacklisted IP - what to do?

I think that the UCEPROTECT list is not really a problem because it seems to be widely known to be disreputable and borderline fraudulent/extortionist. Most mail providers including Microsoft don’t seem to use it. I think Microsoft uses their own private blocking policies that are more restrictive than most other mail providers. In my case, my emails to Outlook recipients are going to Spam apparently because my IP address is still new. With my previous Linode IP, however, it was worse: my emails were actually being hard-blocked and bouncing back to me. I’ve also joined the SMDS and Junk Mail Reporting Program and I’m hoping that after a few emails are marked “Not Spam” by the recipients, MS’ filter will be trained for future emails coming from my IP.

I do not want to discourage you or anyone else here! I had the same hi-hopes for MS but three years down the line now I just do not care anymore for MS deliverability from my personal MIAB because I do not send much out, but for my friend MIAB and starting a business it’s a completely different story.

I also tried a relay service by SendGrid, but during the registration process, all my account activation e-mails were delivered straight to my MIAB’s Spam - if they can’t deliver their clients’ activation e-mails properly there is no guarantee they will do a better job with relay services.

It’s for sure that MS maintains their own internal RBLs and I hoped exactly the same by joining the SMDS and Junk Mail Reporting Program and moving mails from Spam to inbox on Hotmail/Outlook and whitelisting the sender that it will learn and will stop the nonsense, but still the same old.
I think the only route with MS would be direct communication as someone already mentioned here, on insisting for you IPv4&6 to be added to legit mail servers, if not anything else.

If anyone has better advice/experience with MS, please do enlighten us? May be camp outside MS Redmond’s campus with your reverse DNS and IPv’s on a slogan ;)? Keep up the good fight!

Cheers,

If the emails are merely ending up in spam folders, then just tell your customers and vendors that Microsoft is hostile to smaller email providers. A smaller business probably runs into these sorts of problems on a regular basis.

There may be further options, such as Google has or had a “Postmaster” service where you could create an account have have some input into how email were being treated on their servers.

The long term solution is people using servers on the hostile blacklists to not cave into migrating to larger services, because such migration feeds the beast. A hard line has to be taken that if some admins don’t want respect mail servers following the RFCs and violating no TOS anywhere, then they are out of bounds and it is the problem of their customers to complain or migrate.

1 Like

Hi there - I had the same problem with Outlook.com and related sites blocking my IP. I also received the “not eligible” email, but replied to them and asked why not. 8 hours later I was unblocked and it’s working well.

Give it a go. You might have luck, too.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

MS are a real hassle with their very aggressive blocking policies, in my experience you are much more likely to get mail blocked to hotmail or outlook addresses than to the other big mail providers.

They do actually respond to mails though, and generally they do something about it if you are persistent and polite.

The fact that they unblock something once doesn’t mean you don’t need to keep on checking it and often go through the whole same process a few times though.

I’ve heard the same - that you’ll suddenly be blocked again and need to jump through the same hoops. But that’s ok - it’s only a few emails that need to be sent.
KO

I’ve found that if you reply to the automated “NO!” messages from MS they usually unblock your IP within a few hours.

I’ve found this as well.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.